Monday, November 29, 2004

Stunned by Life: Haridwar & Rishikesh

Jaya Guru Datta, my folksies!

That is to say, That which/who guides you into light is a gift. I'm not sure I have that completely right, but that's my understanding. And it is such an appropriate thing to say every day, when you wake up, meet somebody, have food. It's like Give thanks.

Not even a week in India yet, and so much to say. so I won't say much because I'd rather be living it than remisiscing it while I'm here, y'know? One thing for sure is that India is such an unbelievable place. It's beyond description, something you have to experience. I feel like I've been stunned by life, not only in the world here, but in myself as well. The spiritual energy here is so palpable, it's hard not to believe in God, or a creator, or a higher creative power, call it what you will. And what a blessing I've had, when I've opened up: Already, I had the fortune of witnessing a massive Hindu congregation at Haridwar ("Gate of God"), hiked up to the Mansa Devi Temple and squeezed my way, with thousands of worshippers, to give an offering to Mansa Devi. Hectic 2 days hustling in Delhi finally gave way to a wonderful train ride, bursting with smiles and laughter -- even met my husband in my last life there -- a bright-eyed 11-year old boy named Diyanshu, who blushed when we cajoled him about having found his past wife. Dipped a bit in the River Ganga on the day of the full moon, very auspicious, had the fortune of being fed and taken care of at an ashram in Haridwar, participated in several poojas and even happened to be invited to eat at a wedding at the Ashram.

Currently taking a little break from hustle and am staying in Rishikesh, which is a bit more touristy, but has more westerner-convenience (more to say about what I'm learning about westerners later). Am hiking up to the ashram across the street every morning before dawn to do yoga and meditation. Very nice.

Traveling alone has been frustrating and joyous. The first few days here, having to recover from the shock of plane rides, travel fatigue, and then hustling to get my bearings, KICKED MY ASS. Stunned by life. I kept crying and then alternately laughing and didn't know when it was going to stop. That doesn't mean it won't keep happening -- I'm only more relaxed and accustomed now. Now I understand that the first few days were about shedding my old self, and the difficulty of it all has indicated to me how much trash I was carrying around.
Yes, V, the alchemist was an appropriate book to read on the plane. This is a story alright.

Anyway, that's it for now. Will write again soon, and hopefully set up a travel journal online so folks can make comments (it's too much to check all yer responses, tho it's ok for now). For those of you who got my previous crisis email, thanks for the support! Love y'all! And plz, send around to folks who didn't get email (didn't want to sit here typing all day)!

Peace and everything! Mosquitoes love me too.
Sylvia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home